Open Water Swims

Below are some anecdotes of the open water swims I have done recently. What I love about open water is each location has its own unique character and feel to it.

2019

Dosthill Quarry - January

Freshwater - quarry
Temp: 5 degrees
Swimwear: Skins

My first swim of the year was had here. Inched my way in with some encouragement as was pleased to manage a whole 11 minutes. Dosthill quarry is near Cliff Lakes (where I often swim in the summer) and near Tamworth / Kingsbury. The course is only 400m so it's not great for getting distance, but it's a friendly spot that has great opening and fantastic water quality. Divers also frequent the location which provides some company in the middle of winter - apparently there's a plane down there?!


West Bay Beach - April 22nd

Seawater
Temp: 11 degrees (est)
Swimwear: Skins

An unusually hot Easter weekend had me headed for east beach at West Bay, very near my parent's house in Bridport. I pootled down on my mum's horrific bike, before making tracks for the sea. It wasn't my quickest entry (brrr) but once in I enjoyed breast-stroking up and down. My capless head wasn't really digging the cold, but it was fun to watch others not making it past the paddling stage.


Cromhall Quarry - April 27th

Freshwater - quarry
Temp: 11 degrees
Swimwear: Skins

A Quarry right on the edge of the Cotswolds near Stroud. Very hard to find as we had to weave our way through what looked like a disused coach park.... However, when we did arrive it was huge! I swam about 800 m, going up and down one of the 400m long sides. It was quite breezy and exposed and I didn't fancy heading right out into the middle of it. There were a few wetsuited people doing so but I was just pleased to have gotten my face in and done a bit of proper swimming (with brain freeze). Was glad of my Charlie McLeod sports cloak, recommended by a friend! :)


Carbis Bay Beach - May 11th 

Saltwater
Temp: 11 degrees
Swimwear: Skins

What a delightfully empty beach! Both pre-wedding and post-wedding dips were had here. The water was just so clear and refreshing - even the bride couldn't resist....


Knoll Beach, Studland Bay - June 15th

Freshwater
Temp: 13 degrees
Swimwear: Skins

A quick trip to Dorset - the Purbeck area to be specific. I had researched previously and apparently Knoll beach in Studland bay is the best place to swim, especially in the prevailing wind (which it was). The golden sand provided a delightfully long and calm swim location. Wading in I realised it was fairly shallow, but I think this only made it feel even more warm and inviting. I think Aidan was a bit chilly but I felt fine!




Cliff Lakes - June 17th

Freshwater - man-made lake
Temp: 15 degrees
Swimwear: Skins (trisuit)

I've already been here a few times this season as I had a few swims left on my nowca band. This place has gotten pretty commercial, with lots of new buildings, businesses, parking charges, fences etc so I'm a lot less enthralled by it than when I first started swimming here in 2015. However, everyone is still friendly and the 1000m lap is the longest I know of locally. I'll do anything to avoid boredom generally! This day was particularly quiet when I turned up and I soon found at why - they have Swimmer's Itch! Oh dear. Unlike this time last year I am not pregnant hence I decided to take the risk and go anyway. I swapped my cossie for a trisuit for more coverage, and lathered on the suncream. Thankfully, the combination of this and them moving the course to a deeper "finger" of the lake seemed to mean I escaped with just a few little bites. Phew.


Eype Beach - June 21st

Seawater
Temp: 13 degrees
Swimwear: Skins

The closest beaches to my parents' house are east and west beach at West Bay. However some lunatic has decided that the summer would be the ideal time to undertake so major civil engineering works, so these beaches are largely closed at the moment. Therefore I popped over to Eype today for a swim. It's stony rather than sandy at Eype (so not a real beach in my mind!) but the benefit of that is that all my kit stayed fairly clean. I hobbled my way to the sea (pebbles, ouch!) and once in enjoyed a 1k swim along the coast and back. The end of the beach was deceptively far away so I turned a little short of it to return to my family. The sea was blue yet clear and the sky even bluer - a perfect midsummer day.


River Thames near Ratcliffe - July 20th

River
Temp: 19 degrees (est)
Swimwear: Skins

After a medium length ride we walked along from the pub to a grassy entry point. Very short swim (others were in a rush apparently) which was a shame, but soothing on the chest. Stream fairly strong so not much distance made, a few fishermen and an interested swan about too.


River Thames near Abingdon - August 13th

River
Temp: 20 degrees (est)
Swimwear: Skins

We ran out for about 2.5 miles along the towpath before I decided to test the water. Unfortunately a wasp decided to test my skin at the same time. Water was lovely and soothing for the sting but it lingered for a couple of weeks. Stream nice and slow though making for a pleasant swim.


River Avon at Guys Cliffe - August 18th

River
Temp: 18 degrees (est)
Swimwear: Skins

Parked at a pub, crossed the river and walked through fields to a magical entry point under a large tree. This provided some shelter from the pouring rain, which of course didn't matter once we were in! Stunning ruins to our left as we swam upstream. Strong stream due to the rain and swollen river but we made decent progress until blocked by weeds. Floating back was a lot of fun!


Clatteringshaws Loch - August 23rd

Loch
Temp: 17 degrees (est)
Swimwear: Skins

Entered by the visitor centre (avoiding the adder I saw!). Calm water with mysterious views across the expanse. Couldn't tempt Aidan in and I don't think that was to do with the adder....




Loch Trool - August 24th

Loch
Temp: 17 degrees (est)
Swimwear: Skins

Just climbed the Merrick and fancied a dip! Soft shallow entry at the north east end of the loch. Perfectly calm waters and a lovely sunset.





Glenamour Loch (upper) - August 25th

Loch
Temp: 18 degrees (est)
Swimwear: Skins

Mid-buggy run swim, and Molly's first open water skinny dip. Gorgeous hot, sunny day in Scotland. At the northern extent of the pretty Killoughtree Forest Park.




Body of water between River Tame and Dosthill - August 26th

Lake
Temp: 19 degrees (est)
Swimwear: Skins

So we turned up to Dosthill and it was closed! Hannah and I had recce'd a nearby body of water on a recent run so we walked the half mile down the hill through some (muddy) woodlands to it. Found a perfect private entry point under a tree and shared a fantastic swim with lots of birds.






Lough Learne (Ireland) - September 16th

Lake
Temp: 15 degrees (est)
Swimwear: Skins

First dip in Ireland - had in the middle of a lovely walk from Ross Castle in Killarney National Park. Perfectly calm pool of water, which was coppery in sheen. I then crossed a rocky bank (oh why did I forget my swim shoes?) to have a swim in the main Lough which was also lovely.






Lough Galee (Ireland) - September 17th

Lake
Temp: 13 degrees (est)
Swimwear: Skins

A tough uphill walk (wearing Molly) from the foot of Carrauntoohill - Ireland's tallest mountain - in the Reeks, left me aching for a dip. I had the choice of this Lough or Lough Gouragh. The latter looked black, this looked an inviting blue, so an easy choice in the end! Refreshing and probably one of my highest (altitude) dips to date.







Ballingskellig beach (Ireland) - September 16th

Sea
Temp: 12 degrees (est)
Swimwear: Skins

Beach!






Muckross Lake (Ireland) - September 20th

Lake
Temp: 14 degrees (est)
Swimwear: Skins

Back to Killarney National Park for our final day in Ireland. A picnic lunch was had shortly into our hike on a beautiful sandy beach, and yes, a swim had to be had. This was the best swim of the holiday - not as calm as the early in the week ones, but the views were amazing and the sandy entry made it feel like freshwater snorkelling.









2018

Stainforth - July 7th

Freshwater - river and waterfalls
Temp: 14 degrees (est)
Swimwear: Skins

A long day was had yesterday doing the Yorkshire Three Peaks challenge in incredibly warm and sunny weather - I felt for Aidan carrying my bag all the way around. Today was classed as a (literal) chill day and I took myself (and hence Molly) for a dip in the pools along the river at Stainforth. We walked along and back to pick our spot (away from any kids and inflatables) and enjoyed a good splash in a fairly quiet section. Definitely recommended!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dorset Stickler 3 Peaks Race 2019

Carsington Water Half Marathon 2020