Dorset Stickler 3 Peaks Race 2019

October 27th 2019

10 mile cross-country

As I was staying with my parents for the weekend, I decided to enter this 10km race as a quick Sunday morning jaunt. What I hadn't actually realised until I looked it up was that it was a 10 mile race, with 3 rather large hills in it - oops!

It ended up being an all-morning activity, thanks to the late start of 10:30 (which was really 11:30 thanks to the clocks changing...I couldn't explain this to Molly so she had me up at 5am rather than her usual 6am). I arrived to a sea of club vests, which instantly made me feel a bit green as it normally means a fast field. I'm not part of any club so was sporting my SportsWorld pink t-shirt, and probably stood out a fair bit!

The start was a little awkward, we were all encouraged into a muddy field through a gate, which turned out to be the start line. As everyone wanted to start near the start, actually getting into the field was hard as as soon as people were through the gate, they stopped. Nevertheless, just after 10:30 we set off, straight up a 1.2 mile hill. I didn't mind this being so early - my legs felt quite fresh and although I got quite stuck behind people this was probably good in terms of pacing.

Once at the top, we rounded the beacon and then headed down on a lovely muddy field track. Unfortunately within half a mile this turned to a hard packed gravel track - which was two miles long and very downhill. The combination of trail shoes and impact meant this was agonising for my right lower leg and knee by the end of it, I really had to slow down and concentrate on foot placement. The uphill at 4.2 miles was incredibly welcome, just the relief I needed. Even the downhill after 5 miles wasn't so bad, and it was then flat to the 10km marker.

From here there was a steep but gradually flattening climb to the top of Hod, which was lovely and grassy. Down and up again (with a bit of walking) to Hambleton, then a steep and rabbit-hole-filled downhill into the valley. The valley itself was rather wet, with splashy fields and long grass. There was a "bridge" that seemed to be sitting in the middle of a river rather than spanning it. My feet got soaked trying to clamber onto it. I didn't mind though as there was only a mile or so to go. Once I had shuffled (literally, it was so mossy and slippery!) across it I realised there was a chance I could finish in under 1:30, so I pushed myself through the final field.

The last half mile was along a disused railway - flat and compact and just what I needed for a reasonably fast finish to come well under 1:30, yay! At the finish I was told I was 10th lady which I was pleasantly surprised by as the field seemed very big and there were some super-fast looking ladies too. I was given a huge long-sleeved top (why oh why can't they make these in real sizes, I'm not at all small and was drowned by it) which came into its own later when waiting for my lift home.

A great run, organised by local runners, for local runners. I would definitely do this again if I happened to be around.







Times
Total time:  01:28:18

Standings
Age category:              5/72          7%
Gender category:        10/205       5%
Overall category:       112/524      21%

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carsington Water Half Marathon 2020