CaniX Cannock Chase 2019

October 20th 2019

5km Canicross race (with Lily)

Legs feeling a tad lethargic after yesterday's 10k race, I arrived at a beautiful Cannock Chase feeling very excited about the prospect of having a little lady pull me along (rather than the usual alternative of having to push a different little lady around).

We were briefed (I started to feel very nervous, everyone else looked like they knew what was going on!) and then I put my harness on ready for Lily.. Once she was attached we had a short warm-up and then we were waiting in our Wave 2 pen. I'm not sure how the waves were done, but I was thankful all the two-dog scenarios appeared to be going in Wave 1 ahead of me... The gap between waves was smaller than anticipated, and whilst I was busy fiddling with my HR monitor and top (easier said than done when you're harnessed in to a very excitable dog) the start gun went off!

Lily put on a spurt of speed and hence so did I! The wide and grassy start was welcome, but before long we were on a narrower and fairly hard gravelly track. Still busy with people, Lily cantered past, ignoring my calls to easy up when the downward slope increased. I did something in between running and skiing down this slope, glad to reach the bottom and some rolling muddy undulations which were much better suited to my Salomon Speedcrosses....

The crowd had also thinned-out by now (we had overtaken a two-dogger), to the extent that after a rather steeper downhill/bank which Lily reluctantly slowed a tiny bit for, but not enough for my liking, we didn't see anyone for the stretch in the valley. A sharp turn back on ourselves and we were climbing up and out. Of course, now I could do with a hand, Lily seemed fairly content just to trot along next to me. Sigh. After a few minutes of this behaviour we were caught up by a couple of vet men and their dogs, whom we followed out of the forest to the top, and pretty much across the flatter trails (which were very enjoyable) and to the finish.

I'm sure Lily's used to running faster, but I was pleased with our time. I was actually very disappointed that we didn't seem to be eligible for any prizes (why have a one day event at all?) as the lady two minutes behind me scooped first prize! Oh well, next time we shall have to do both days (if my legs are up to it, by Pilates the next day my front ankles were very stiff!).







Times
Total time:  00:21:35

Standings
Age category:              1/8        13%
Gender category:        2/30        7%
Overall category:        4/41      10%

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dorset Stickler 3 Peaks Race 2019

Carsington Water Half Marathon 2020