Richmond Marathon 2021

September 12th 2021

Marathon (road)

Attempt at going for GFA scuppered by having a horrendous chest infection. Gutted as until 6 days prior training was going well. My target was 3:35.

Felt OK for a couple of miles through Kew Gardens. Soon after this I knew 8:15 pace was not going to happen, so adjusted my target to 08:30 which I managed to hold up to the half marathon. Had a marginally better feeling patch from 11 - 16 miles, but the out and back on the other side of the river was hard, and the loops around Kingston Rowing club from 19 - 22 miles absolutely killed me mentally. Meeting the half marathoners with 4 miles to go did nothing to help and required extra energy for dodging around.

I'd been consistently up by 0.45 miles on every mile marker since mile 2. By mile 23 I wondered if my watch had actually measured a bit long and I should trust the markers. But no. "Mile" 25 was actually 1.45 miles long and by this time I was max effort knowing I'd need to throw everything in just to get the sub-3:45 I'd need to even apply for GFA. The last 500m being on long grass was.....well...exhausting! Nail in coffin.

Relieved to finish in sub-3:45 - I know I put everything into that.

The 1.8 mile walk back to the car was slow but thankfully familiar and easy terrain. Feeling very dehydrated, half a cup of water every 4 miles on a sunny 25 degree day was not sufficient for me.

Weirdly though, unlike all my ultras, the DOMs were non existent after?! Surprising as I avoid tarmac as I find it too unforgiving. Unfortunately I just felt so ill that a few days rest were in order anyway.

Update 02/12/21 - I managed to qualify for London! So maybe this horrific race was somewhat worth it, but not something I'll ever be repeating. I was ill for a good 6 weeks after this (aside from a week in September when I thought I was better - odd).




Times
Total time:  03:42:34

Standings
Gender category:         20/155      50%
Overall category:        xxx      25%

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carsington Water Half Marathon 2020

CaniX Cannock Chase 2019