The Lap Windermere 2022

 May 14th 2022

47 miles trail

This was the first race I entered for 2022, based on encouragement from amazing friend and fellow mummy of two, Charlotte. I didn't need much convincing, I loved the idea of lapping a lake, with the incredible scenery that would inevitably be enjoyed, as well as a not too horrific elevation profile.

Having registered the day before (resisting a much wanted dip in the lake for risk of injury), I arrived at the start line ready to go, surprised at how light it was and regretting having brought my not-so-lightweight head torch. There seemed to be a huge variety of runners and walkers at the start, and lots of women too which was encouraging. 

The beginning of the race had us running along the side of the lake, right close to the water. It was absolutely stunning. A very fine mist hung over the water, which was still enough to provide those fantastic mirror-like reflections. After an enjoyable three miles of this, the first incline came. This was rather stepped in nature, and unfortunately halfway up, something went acutely wrong in my left lower leg. Perhaps I had had warning of this, as some slight niggles had arisen in the two weeks prior, but I had written this off as "taperitis", or "maranoia", both of which I suffer from regularly!

Another mile passed and I realised the lower leg was there to stay. Argh! Thankfully, the scenery really was as amazing as I'd anticipated, and the weather a perfect high teens to low twenties, with barely a breeze to intervene. The first checkpoint came a bit soon, so I didn't stop, but at the next I was needing a full top up - trying as every to be efficient whilst fumbling with soft flasks, tailwind sachets, etc! One thing that did go really well this race was fuelling, the first time I felt it had really clicked. A combination of tailwind, Veloforte and clif bloks had me feeling well energised for the entire duration of the course.

The next checkpoint offered my drop bag, which I did not want but frustratingly had to go and find, then move to be allowed to continue. Had the weather been different I suppose I may have wanted it, but at this point it was more of an irritation. Two big climbs then ensued, which I didn't mind too much. The descents however were another story, fatigue creeping in, and by the second descent, my quads and pelvic floor were complaining somewhat. 

I was grateful for the forest trail section that followed, with wide open trails, and people to talk to! The latter did lead some of us to a slight navigational mishap, but only of the order of a few hundred metres... The next descent led down to the last village, where a bit of road running took me across a bridge and up the final climb. The top of this climb led to a surprising wooded area, with pools of water perfect for dipping. Less perfect was the descent, which, with just 3 miles to go, I'd hoped would be a quick sprint. It was not, but a full on scramble down a bank littered with tree logs, branches and nettles. I know that near half the runners would have had to attempt this in the failing light or darkness, and I did not envy them at all. 

Once down on lakeside there was a mile or so of familiar water's edge, and then the finish! What an amazing course this was, I'd full recommend it for both course and organisation. The medals were maybe a little unsatisfying, being very faintly-printed wood, but the dip at the end made up for this a little.

Overall I was disappointed my leg gave up at just four hours in, meaning my 10hr target disappeared fairly soon. However, I was pleased with my overall gender position and felt I paced myself well. I did notice a fair few were using poles, possibly something to consider as although the climbs weren't numerous, they were reasonably steep and rocky.













Times
Total time:  10:24:09

Standings
Gender category:          9/137         7%
Overall category:        38/367       10%   (not including 34 retirees!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dorset Stickler 3 Peaks Race 2019

Carsington Water Half Marathon 2020