Scafell Pike Marathon 2022

August 21st 2022

(27 miles - mountain trails)

The third and final round of the GTNS UK qualifying races - currently sitting in 5th and keen to maintain a top 5 spot, I was excited for this race! Unlike before the Serpent trail, I felt well rested and ready to take on some elevation and some views.

After an unprecedented few hours on the M6, I made my way straight to registration. The weather was NOT favourable, with torrential rain and gusty winds making my question my life choices. However, I registered and headed off to the Salomon led talk. Only to find HQ was rapidly being blown away.... Instead I provided some propping-up assistance until the area was made safe, then found my way to my accommodation, looking somewhat bedraggled and feeling glad I didn't have to talk to anyone in the process. To follow was possibly the worst night's sleep I've ever had, thanks to some caffeine that I had thought necessary in the stifling car on the M6. Big mistake!

57 minutes of sleep later and I was getting up, and preparing myself for the 2.5 mile walk to the start. It was spitting with rain, but not a patch on yesterday, so a plodded along around the bottom of the lake to the start area. Facilities were limited, but it wasn't long until the start, and soon we were off! The field strung out really quickly and I could immediately tell it was really strong. This marathon was a qualifier for the World Mountain series and elite athletes had turned out in their droves. 

I stuck to my pace plan, enjoying the run along the side of the lake, and not minding the few tarmac link up stretches either. My (new) poles came out for the first little climb, then went away again for the fern-like descent. At the first checkpoint in Seathwaite I could see the start of the main climb, and was looking forward to getting going. Once over the bridge at the base, the poles came out again, and I used them to heave myself up the first section, slightly disappointed that the male leaders were already returning from the climb, with me barely started! 

I felt much better having left the course split behind, and continued up, slowly but sure-footed with my poles, keen not to go wrong or mis-step. I was feeling pretty exhausted at this point, mentally rather than physically. Yet to reach halfway and with a lot of climbing to come, I slowed noticeably and a few overtook me. However, once I reached the main thoroughfare to the top (and after a bit of fuelling) I felt better, speeding up and making it to the trig point. After this I was flying across the plateau, picking my way through the larger rocks and trying not to let my poles get stuck as I'd witness happen to a few others.

The next mini climb was looser material, but I felt comfortable with my poles, climbing again and making good distance from those behind. From the top I could see the descent (and some familiar faces) so I scooted down, enjoying the relief of some runnable downhill - finally. This continued to the course re-join point, although the repeated section felt wildly unfamiliar in the return direction. I jogged through, still overtaking a good number of people, and back down to the checkpoint.

From here the route felt a little contrived and messy. I found my progress hampered by endless gates, stiles and crossings, with the first section of fern-clad valley running making it difficult to pick up any speed. This led to another road crossing where the final climb began and wow was this a sting in the tail! Although I was still working through the field, my body was starting to feel the cumulative load and the top was very welcome indeed. Thankfully some easier running followed, but then, bizarrely, we turned off onto the side of a very steel bank. 

A bit disappointed to have my rhythm stunted yet again, I took the turning and unfortunately soon after slipped, falling headlong down the bank. I managed to grab onto some fern to stop myself sliding down, but my leg muscles had suddenly and simultaneously cramped. I'm guessing this is some sort of subconscious reaction, but it was agony trying to get myself back to standing. Luckily, I could still move and the damage seemed to be limited to cuts, bruises and whatever doms that cramping would instil later, but for now, onwards! 

This section was incredibly narrow and tricky, and really dragged. I was pushed to keep up with another competitor, but couldn't wait to end. Once free of The Bank, there were under 2 miles to go. I felt like a caged animal, bursting out of the fern, and essentially building to the finish. Here I must have come past 10 or so more competitors, excited to see the familiar lakeside surroundings and that all important finish line.

I finished in 6hr 38. Not the 6hr I was aiming at, but I gave it a good go. Perhaps with course familiarity I could have eeked out a bit more (and a bit of sleep would have helped too!), but generally I felt I fuelled well, wore the correct kit and we were graced with perfect conditions (in contrast to those at registration!). My position down the field is not great, but (not an excuse, I should be better) it really was an incredible field, with some of these athletes racing both nationally and internationally. Inspiring to be around really!

This was also enough to keep my top 5 spot in the GTNS UK, and be invited to compete in the final - my main target for the day.












Times
Total time:  06:38:49

Standings
Gender category:        14/26       54%
Age category              13/19       68%
Overall category:        85/149     57%

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dorset Stickler 3 Peaks Race 2019

Carsington Water Half Marathon 2020